Five councils working together to help you
This council is a member of the Waikato Building Consent Group, a cluster of five councils who work together to bring consistency to the building consent process.
Other members of the group are:
- Hamilton City Council
- Matamata-Piako District Council
- Otorohanga District Council
- Waipa District Council
The group website, www.buildwaikato.co.nz
, provides information on the building consent process for anyone in the local building industry and those involved in a building project, large or small. Visit the site for:
- Application forms and checklists
- Informaton Brochures
- Helpful building links
Build Waikato is an online information service. Building inspections and consents for the district are carried out by our Building Quality team. If you require more information or a building inspection please call us on 0800 492 452 or email us.
What our Building Quality team does:
Our Building Quality team issues and inspects a wide range of building related projects from wood burning heaters to multi storey buildings.
- Issues building consents
- Issues project information memoranda (PIM)
- Conducts building inspections
- Records and monitors building warrants of fitness
- Ensures the provisions of the Fencing of Swimming Pools Act are complied with
The building department currently receives and issues applications for around 1,300 building consents and PIM’s per year.
For technical building enquires a Building Inspector will be available at the following times:
- Monday to Friday - 8.30am to 10.00am
- Monday, Wednesday and Friday - 8.30am to 10.00am
Building consents are required for a wide range of building work including:
- Construction and demolition
- Alteration of buildings
- Site works
- Swimming pools
- Solid fuel heaters
If you are unsure if you need to apply for a building consent, please contact us and we will be happy to help.
The following services are also available from the Tuakau Office:
- Lodgement and processing of building consent
- Administration, processing, and time extensions
- Building related enquiries
Certificates of Public Use, Notice to Fix, and Unauthorised Building Work Notices are initially being administered out of our head office in Ngaruawahia.
Booking of building inspections is done through the Ngaruawahia Office, however, building inspectors are also based in Tuakau.
(Back to top)